Fastenal returns to the No. 99 this weekend at Chicagoland Speedway as Carl Edwards looks to win in the running of the Geico 400 Sunday afternoon. Live racing action can be seen on ESPN at 1:00 P.M. ET.
Practice – 1:00 p.m. ET Friday on ESPN2
Practice – 4:00 p.m. ET Friday on ESPN2
Qualifying – 1:30 p.m. ET Saturday on SPEED
Race – 1:00 p.m. ET Sunday on ESPN
Carl Edwards on racing at Chicagoland Speedway:
“We are going to Chicago to win the race. We have nothing to lose. We almost had nothing to lose at Richmond, but now we really have nothing to lose. We are going to go out and just enjoy these last 10 races for what they are. It’s a chance to go have fun, to try things we’ve been wanting to try all year that we want to try for next year and just try to get victories. I wish so bad this was the first race of our 2012 championship, but really it’s the first race of our 2013 championship run. We’re just getting a head start on these guys and that’s how we have to look at it.”
Crew chief Chad Norris on racing at Chicagoland Speedway:
"It will be good to get back to racing at a 1.5-mile track. The RFR teams always seem to excel at the intermediate tracks. Although it’s disappointing we didn’t make the Chase, we still have 10 races left to win and the Fastenal Blue Team’s goal is to go out and win as many of them as we can. We are already looking ahead to 2013 and seeing what we can do now to prepare for next season.”
• CARL EDWARDS enters Chicago 14th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Chase point standings. In 26 starts, Edwards has accumulated two top-five and 11 top-10 finishes.
• FOR THE RECORD…Edwards will make his eighth Cup start at Chicagoland Speedway this weekend. In his previous starts, Edwards has three top-five and three top-10 finishes. His average start is 16.0 and his average finish is 16.3.
• IN THE LOOP…According to NASCAR’s Loop Data, acquired over the past seven races at Chicagoland, Edwards has turned 110 of the fastest laps in Cup competition (fourth most). He has spent 1249 (66.7%) laps in the top 15.
• ON THE TRACK…The No. 99 Fastenal Blue Team will be bringing chassis RK-739 to Chicago. This car last raced at Michigan in August where Edwards finished sixth.
• CHICAGO, SEPTEMBER 2011… Edwards led 39 laps near the halfway point in the race and had a strong car all day. In the end it was fuel mileage that proved to be the key to success. Edwards was ninth with 10 laps to go, but conserved enough fuel to make it to the end to finish fourth.