Edwards Looks for Fourth Atlanta Win, First of the Season
Fastenal will serve as an associate sponsor on the No. 99 Ford this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Live racing action can be seen on ESPN at 6:30 p.m. ET Sunday.
Carl Edwards on racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway:
“We could not be going to a better race track for our team right now, all the guys are pumped. We’ve had great success there. Atlanta is one of the more challenging tracks to drive. It’s fun, it’s fast, there are bumps and different grooves. The track has character and that’s what makes it so much fun to race. We’re going there expecting a victory. The last time we raced a Subway car we won in the Nationwide Series at Watkins Glen. It would be a lot of fun to relive that and do a backflip on Sunday.”
Crew chief Chad Norris on racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway:
"We are headed to Atlanta this weekend knowing what we need to do as a team. We are focused and determined, and we refuse to give up on making the Chase. We have two races left and Atlanta has always been a great track for Carl. A win there would put us right in the thick of the battle for the two wild card spots. In the next two weeks we’ve got 725 laps to give it all we have.”
• CARL EDWARDS enters Atlanta 12th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup point standings, 34 points behind 10th place. He has earned two top-five and 11 top-10 finishes this season, along with one pole.
• FOR THE RECORD… In 14 starts at the 1.54-mile Atlanta track, Edwards has three wins, eight top-five and 10 top-10 finishes. His average start is 10.1, and his average finish is 13.6. Edwards has completed 94.4% of laps attempted at Atlanta.
• IN THE LOOP… According to NASCAR’s Loop Statistics compiled over the last 14 races at Atlanta, Edwards has turned 339 of the track’s fastest laps which is a series high, spent 3,265 laps (76.8%) in the top 15 and led a total of 345 laps. Edwards’ driver rating is fourth best among active drivers.
• ON THE TRACK…The No. 99 will carry the Subway paint scheme at Atlanta this weekend. The crew will unload RK-782 which last ran at MIS in June where Edwards finished 11th, and also ran the All Star race and California.
• REWIND, ATLANTA, SEPTEMBER 2011… Edwards was running fourth, but in the closing laps Tony Stewart made a charge out of nowhere to get by him. Edwards finished the race in fifth place.