Carl Edwards Michigan Preview
Carl Edwards and the No. 99 team head to Michigan International Speedway this weekend, Fastenal will serve as an associate sponsor on the 99 this weekend.
Practice - 12:30 p.m. ET Friday on SPEED
Qualifying - 4:00 p.m. ET Friday on SPEED
Practice - 8:30 a.m. ET Saturday on SPEED
Practice - 11:00 a.m. ET Saturday on SPEED
Race - 12:00 p.m. ET Sunday on ESPN
Carl Edwards on racing at Michigan International Speedway:
“I remember we ended a long losing streak at Michigan in 2007. Any time you win at Michigan it’s big and it’s big especially for the guys who race for Jack. His business is based in Michigan. We really appreciate everything Ford has done for our sport, Jack and everyone at RFR, so it’s a very special place to win. Victory lane takes a long time there because of all the photos. It’s neat to have guys like Edsel (Ford) and all the folks that support us from a technical and financial standpoint so much that it’s a special place to win. I think everyone in the garage feels that way. It just feels like a home track for us for a number of reasons.”
Crew chief Chad Norris on racing at Michigan International Speedway:
"I feel really good about the car we are taking to Michigan this weekend. It’s not a new car, but it has a new body on it and it should be fast. The Roush Fenway cars have always been good at MIS so I’m expecting a strong race with Carl. We’ve got a really cool Geek Squad/West Coast Customs paint scheme that would look really nice in victory lane.”
• CARL EDWARDS enters Michigan 12th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings. This season Edwards has achieved two top-five, 10 top-10 finishes and one pole.
• FOR THE RECORD… In his previous 16 starts at MIS, Edwards has two wins, nine top-five and 12 top-10 finishes. His average start is 22.2, his average finish is 8.4. He has completed 99 percent of the laps he has attempted at the two-mile track. Only four times in his previous 16 starts has Edwards finished outside the top 10.
• IN THE LOOP… According to NASCAR’s loop statistics compiled over the last 16 races at MIS, Edwards has turned 178 of the track’s fastest laps which is third highest, spent 2,391 laps (81.4%) in the top 15 (second most) and led a total of 274 laps (third highest). Edwards’ driver rating (104.7) is the fourth best among active drivers.
• SO YOU KNOW… Edwards made his Cup series debut at Michigan in August 2004. He started that race 23rd and finished 10th. Edwards also made his 100th Cup start at MIS in June of 2007. He went on to win that race.
• ON THE TRACK… The No. 99 team will be unloading chassis 739. Edwards last raced this car at Las Vegas where he finished fifth. Since then this car has been fitted with a new body. The Geek Squad paint scheme was designed by Ryan Friedlinghaus, CEO & founder of West Coast Customs.
• REWIND, MICHIGAN – August 2011… Edwards never got the chance to see what his No. 99 Ford was capable of as an electrical issue sent him to the garage after only 30 laps of racing resulting in a 36th –place finish.