Carl Edwards and the No. 99 team head west for the running of the Auto Club 400 Sunday. Live racing action can be seen on FOX at 3:00 p.m. EST. Fastenal will once again serve as an associate sponsor for the race this weekend before returning as the primary paint scheme in Martinsville on April 1st.
Carl Edwards on racing at Auto Club Speedway:
“I can’t wait to run at Fontana. After Bristol I am headed there to win. My team did a great job of getting me back out on the track last week and now it is time to concentrate on Auto Club Speedway. It’s a very fast two-mile track; very similar to Michigan with a lot of room to race. It's a lot of fun and is great racing. Our team has had a lot of success there and we are very determined to make a good run for Subway and all my fans.”
Crew chief Bob Osborne on racing at Auto Club Speedway:
"Historically California has been a really good track for Carl. He has finished in the top 10 in all but three of his Cup races there. We are taking a car that ran well for us in the last half of the season in 2011. We lost some points with the accident in Bristol, so this weekend we need a solid run to help regain some of those points and get back in the top 10 in the standings."
• Carl Edwards enters California 14th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup point standings, 50 points behind leader Greg Biffle. He has earned one top-five, two top-10 finishes and one pole in four starts this season.
• FOR THE RECORD… In 14 starts at the two-mile California track, Edwards has one win, one pole, six top-five and 11 top-10 finishes. His average start is 18.9, and his average finish is 9.0 which is second best among active drivers. Edwards has completed 3389 of 3405 (99.5%) of laps attempted at Auto Club Speedway.
• IN THE LOOP… According to NASCAR’s Loop Statistics compiled over the last 14 races at Fontana, Edwards has turned 153 of the track’s fastest laps (sixth best), spent 2343 laps in the top 15 and led a total of 121 laps. Edwards’ driver rating is sixth best among active drivers.
• ON THE TRACK…The No. 99 crew will unload RK-782 this weekend. This car most recently finished second at Phoenix last November. It also ran at both New Hampshire races in 2011 finishing eighth and 13th.
• REWIND, CALIFORNIA, March 2011… Edwards struggled with the handling of his car, but with the right adjustments and good pit strategy in the closing laps he was able to finish sixth and take the point lead.