Fastenal Team Overcomes Early-Race Incident and Wet Weather to Finish 30th at LMS

Fastenal Team Overcomes Early-Race Incident and Wet Weather to Finish 30th at LMS

October 13, 2008

CONCORD, N.C. (October 10, 2008) – After bottoming out and hitting the outside wall on the second lap of Friday night’s 200-lap NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) race, Bryan Clauson and the No.40 Fastenal Team didn’t have a lot to lose but a whole lot to gain in the remaining laps of their late-night effort at Lowe’s Motor Speedway (LMS).  After hitting the wall, the team managed to get its car back on track in less than 20 laps, waited out two different rain delays and multiple on-track incidents to bring their No.40 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (CGRFS) Dodge home in 30th place. 

Right after Clauson hit the wall on lap two, the Fastenal Team went to work on its No.40 Dodge behind the wall, repairing the upper control arm and resetting the tow.  Then, the rain came and it stuck around long enough for NASCAR to red flag the race, which meant the CGRFS crew could not touch its car during the red-flag condition but it did buy them the time they needed to put together a repair strategy. 

Once the rain stopped, and the field prepared to go back to green-flag racing, the Fastenal Team worked fast to make the remaining repairs to its car.  Racing returned to green on lap 16 and then the No.40 Dodge pulled back on the track on lap 20. 

From there, the team continued to adjust on its car as Clauson worked to avoid the multiple collisions that played out throughout the night.  The NNS field encountered another rain delay on lap 83, and then a colossal collision on lap 193 that sent five cars into the garage just seven laps shy of the finish line.  The race finally concluded just after midnight with the No.40 Fastenal Dodge scored in 30th place.

The Fastenal Team will take next weekend off with the rest of the NNS teams while the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series heads to Martinsville Speedway.  The NNS teams will return to racing Saturday, October 25, at the Memphis (Tenn.) Motorsports Park.  The race is scheduled to start at 3:30 p.m. ET with live coverage on ESPN Classic.

Bryan Clauson commented on his early-race incident:  “It felt like I went in there and bottomed out into one and the front end kind of came back to me and snapped around.  Then, we just lost it there.  We’ll have to go back and kind of look it over.  We made a lot of changes before qualifying and bottomed out pretty bad in qualifying.  We thought we made enough adjustments to fix it … But I hate for all these guys.  We struggled all day.  They never stopped working and they put a lot of hours in on this Fastenal Dodge.  I hate that we tore it up two laps into the race … Every position counts when you’re running for points.  We’re still trying to hold on to where we are in car owner points.  We’re going to go out and run as much as we can and maybe get some help from some other guys and pick up some points.”      


comments powered by Disqus