Edwards Finishes Second at Indy

Edwards Finishes Second at Indy

July 26, 2010
Speedway, Ind. (July 24, 2010) – Saturday night fever struck again in the NASCAR Nationwide Series for the second week in row with scorching temperatures at O’Reilly Raceway Park. Edwards qualified the No. 60 Fastenal Ford, 13th and battled handling issues throughout the majority of the night. With 28 laps remaining Crew Chief, Drew Blickensderfer made the call for Edwards to come into the pits and get four fresh tires. This call was the pivotal moment of the night for the Fastenal team allowing Edwards to take the restart from 12th charging to the front and ultimately challenging Kyle Busch for the win. With a green-white-checkered finish, Busch had a slight advantage off of turn four crossing the finish line first while Edwards finished second.  

“We didn’t really have much of have a chance to win this race without those fresh tires,” Edwards said. “Drew (Blickensderfer) really made the right call there, taking the fresh tires and giving us a shot to get our Fastenal Ford into victory lane. I can’t complain about that.” 
Early in the race Edwards came across the radio saying that the car was loose in and out of the corners and tight in the middle. Edwards and the team would face similar handling struggles for the majority of the race.

The first pit stop of the night occurred on lap 77, where Blickensderfer called for the crew to pull one spring rubber out of the right rear, add wedge to the left rear and make a front tire air pressure adjustment along with four fresh tires and Sunoco race fuel. With accuracy and speed in the pits, the stop allowed Edwards to gain three spots and take the restart in 11th. After a few laps into this run Edwards radioed in saying that with those changes the car was headed in the right direction.

Blickensderfer and the crew would go onto to make adjustments two more times, allowing the car to handle better each time. By lap 160, Edwards was running 6th. With 28 laps remaining Blickensderfer made the decision for Edwards to navigate the Fastenal machine back down pit road to get four fresh tires. Edwards took the restart from 11th position and quickly shot to the front challenging Kyle Busch for the lead.

With six laps remaining the final caution of the night came out, setting the stage for a green-white-checkered finish. On the final lap Edwards went side-by-side with Busch challenging him for the lead. Kyle Busch went on to win the race with Edwards finishing second.

Next Saturday night, Carl Edwards and the No. 60 Fastenal team will head to Iowa. Catch all of the action on ESPN2 Saturday, July 31, starting at 7:00 p.m. ET. 
comments powered by Disqus